Friday, May 18, 2012

Something for nothing

I have often wondered why people expect so much and yet offer so little.  My mother and my grand-mother raised me to believe that you get out of life what you put into it.  It may not always come back how you give it, it comes back all the same.  I have never felt entititled to anything.  My friend is one of those people that would give the shirt off his back to someone in need; however, he has recently started asking "when is it going to be my turn"?  He has fallen on hard times (mostly because of his own doing) and now feels entitiled to better because he has done so much to help others in need.  We had a conversation a few days ago and I explained to him that sometimes it never is your turn and sometimes it comes back in a different way.  I know plenty of good people that have had to endure horrific things in their life.  You hear growing up that if you mind your manners and do the right thing that good things will happen.  Unfortunately, that is not always the case. What I have noticed is that when you walk around expecting something, it never comes and when you continue on without expectations, a lot more goes your way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment