I cannot help but wonder if the increase in narcissism in our society is a result of the advances in technology and the emphasis on actors and athletes. The advances in technology allow us to observe the spending habits of the rich and famous; whereas before the time of internet and smartphones we had no idea of the extravagent lifestyles in which they lived. With information sharing, it has enabled a large portion of people to become envious of those lifestyles. It pushes people to compete with others, not with skills, but with bigger houses and more expensive car, and high priced educations. The competition has generated a selfish, care for my self mentality.
In my opinion, I think that technology has caused society to focus less on ones skills and more on their appearance and possessions.
I agree with its post. People try to be same, or look same than a movie stars, or any celebrity, is like an epidemic behavior. We have to try to be better every day, not matter what FB friends think.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. It is ridiculos to hear that a 7 year old feels like their entitled to an iPhone. Or they need a "body slimmer" to look like Taylor Swift. ( All comments made by my younger cousin) I think that society has become obsessed with the glitz and glam and this just makes me sick.
ReplyDelete