Friday, April 27, 2012

Change in an instant

Tonight, as I sit down to write this, I am reminded of how quickly life can change.  In January of this year, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer.  The events unfolded so quickly.  What started of as a cold that she could not kick, turned into a life changing event.  At the end of March she fainted, that turned into a week in ICU because her blood counts had dropped to levels that were almost unsurvivable.  Fortunately, she has bounced back amazingly. Tonight I am putting the finishing touches on a room for her, because tomorrow she moves in with me. Feeling blessed that I have the opportunity to have her in my life today, I have come to the realization that there may not be a tomorrow.  Just before her diagnosis we were discussing my children's graduation, my graduation, and the day that my sister has children of her own.  Now I wonder if she will be here the next day or next holiday.  The idea of her not being there is emotionally overwhelming.  Not only is she my mother, she is my best friend and confidant. Life can change in a instant! Do not take one day or one moment for granted. 

2 comments:

  1. It is incredible how life does change in a minute. I know some friends and family that are also struggling with cancer. It is a tough disease and I hope and pray your mom makes a full recovery. Medical practices are more advanced than they were years ago. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She has been cancer free for 25 years. Enjoy your mom everyday and keep being positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life does change every second. Many people take basic things for granted. Just enjoy each day with your mommy, as each day is a blessing. She too is blessed to have your support, as many family members are unwilling to care for their loved ones when they are ill or not at their best.

    ReplyDelete